If you pay even the slightest bit of attention to college football, you've most likely seen or heard of Johnny Manziel, the TAMU freshman quarterback who's been taking the SEC - and the entire NCAA football league - by storm. After last weekend's upsets of two of the top three teams, Johnny (or Johnny Football as he's affectionately known by all Aggie and most college football fans these days) is the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy.
Johnny is having the season of a lifetime - check out these stats:
- First freshmen, first SEC player, and only fifth FBS player ever to pass for 3,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in a single season. (And he did it in the fewest games.)
- Holds the SEC record for total yards in a season (4,600 yards in 12 games, compared to Cam Newton's 4,327 yards in 14 games and Tim Tebow's 4,181 yards in 13 games).
- Holds the SEC record for total yards in a game (576).
- His 383.3 yards/game ranks second nationally and is more than 41 FBS football PROGRAMS average.
- First player in FBS history to pass for 300 yards and run for 100 yards in the same game three times in his career. (Keep in mind that he's only nine games into his career.)
- Nine-time SEC Freshman of the Week.
- First player since Tim Tebow to pass for two TDs and run for two TDs six times in the same season.
- Three-time SEC Offensive Player of the Week.
- Three-time AT&T All-America Player of the Week.
- Two-time Walter Camp Player of the Week.
- One: number of kittens Johnny Football has saved on Wellborn Road in front of Kyle Field.
Tom and I are both pretty high on Johnny Football...Not only is he fun and exciting to watch, but he's turned the Aggies into a team to be reckoned with (after most experts predicted they wouldn't be able to hold their own in the SEC). And when the Aggies are winning, College Station is a pretty awesome place to spend your days.
Manziel for Heisman!
Post a Comment