2. On Friday night both kids slept over at friends' houses. Tom and I went out for a drink at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants, to see "Now You See Me 2" in the theater, and then back home to an unsettlingly quiet house. As we finished off the leftovers in the refrigerator and talked about this, that, and the other, Tom and I realized we had never - at least since becoming parents - spent a night, just the two of us, in our house. How did accomplishing that take almost 10 years?!
3. Part 1. "Into the Woods" is one of my favorite musicals, and this weekend I introduced Hallie to the stage version courtesy of a local theatre company. The show's second act is quite a bit slower, darker, and mature than the first act, but Hallie handled the content beautifully. She did, however, ask a few interesting questions...
3. Part 2. ("Into the Woods" spoiler alert) After the Baker's Wife was crushed and killed by the giant, Hallie turned to me and asked, in all seriousness, "oh man, do you think she's going to come back as a zombie?"
"WHAT?!" I whisper-exclaimed. "These are fairy tales, Hallie, so no, I do NOT think she's going to come back as a zombie."
We have never even said the word zombie to Hallie, so I have to assume zombies are something she learned about from her fellow first graders.
3. Part 3. On the way home from the show, Hallie told me she'd had a great day. Despite being a generally happy child, Hallie tells Tom and me quite frequently - usually when asked to tidy up her room, unload the dishwasher, or brush her teeth - that "today is the worst day of my life". (She doesn't know it yet, but our dramatically gifted Hallie's second home will one day be the stage.) She rarely, on the other hand, utters a positive version of that statement. When she does, I too have a great day.
3. Part 4. The Tony Awards: OH. MY. GOSH. AMAZING. I love musicals, Broadway, and enjoying both with my kiddos.
4. On Saturday night, Tom and I - along with fantastic friends - enjoyed our first (of hopefully many) adults-only pool party. I may not enjoy daytime summer weather in Texas, but if the nighttime summer weather means we can go swimming under the stars and not freeze to death, I'll suffer through the hot, humid days for a few months. We've gone on lots of fun couples dates, but this was one of the best, doing some of my favorite things with some of my favorite people.
Like I said, we spend a lot of time in our swimsuits here in Texas.
5. Happiness Highlights:
|Shipment #1 (of three) of Will's soccer gear for this coming fall. He can't|
wait to join the "big leagues", which makes me ridiculously excited as well.
|The best part? Will's number is 17...which was also my number.|
|Seven years separate these two boys, but they spend a lot of time together |
because their moms and sisters are friends. I adore - as in insert the emoji
with the hearts where the eyes should be - watching them interact.
|Tux: "If you don't mind, I'd like a ride to the kitchen for a snack."|
|Sometimes this still happens and it's the absolute best.|
|We missed this sweet girl's birthday party while in California, so we had a |
special birthday playdate for her, complete with pizza, cupcakes, swimming, and
presents that Hallie carefully (as in s...l...o...w...l...y) shopped for at Disneyland.
|This little one is so loved by his "adopted" brothers and sisters.|
Happy Friday, Chasing Roots!
Linking up with High Five for Friday here:
Don't forget to enter the Chasing Roots Father's Day "Daddy Do Giveaway" by taking a picture of daddy doing daughter's hair and emailing it to email@example.com. Photos submitted by 1:00 p.m. CST on Sunday, June 19th will be entered to win one of 10 Pantene Daddy Do Kits!