Right now I long for 1) cool, fall-like weather, and 2) an activity-free Friday or Saturday night to spend at home sitting in front of the (lit, hence my desire for cool, fall-like weather) fireplace. Anyone else?
1. On Friday night we went to our annual Halloween pajama party. I love spending the evening sitting around the dining room table talking, laughing, and drinking wine with my friends. That our husbands are great friends and our kids are like cousins is just the icing on the cake.
2. On Saturday morning the kids' elementary school hosted Dinosaur George, the largest traveling natural history museum in the country. This company and its creator allowed us to offer our students an incredible opportunity they may not have otherwise had, and I highly recommend going to see - or bringing to a school near you - George and his dinosaurs!
3. On Saturday afternoon we headed to campus to attend Tom's department's annual faculty/staff/student/alumni tailgate. On our way across the tailgating zone we ran into Hallie's first preschool teacher, Holly, and Holly's two-month-old daughter. It was hard for both Holly and me to grasp that now-second grade Hallie was just two years old when we all met.
When we arrived at the tailgate we discovered that the daughter of one of Tom's co-workers had brought A KITTEN with her. Hallie oohed and aahed over that delightfully adorable and peanut-sized fluff ball for 30 minutes, petting it and styling its hair while it slept on its owner's lap. Her best tailgate ever. (And maybe my best tailgate ever too...)
Before leaving home, Will begged to pack his chess board in his backpack. Tom and I suggested different options, but left the choice of what to bring up to Will; Will chose chess. And then he found someone - a fifth grade son of an alumni - to play against. His best tailgate ever.
4. (Warning: picture-heavy high five ahead. I couldn't help myself...) Hallie and her fellow Mini Company dancers performed on Sunday afternoon at the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk. The stage wasn't big enough for 13 girls so they had to improvise and dance on the crispy, summer-dried grass in front of the stage, but they took the change in stride and did a beautiful job in their first-ever performance together.
|Hallie and her "big sis" (every Mini Company member |
has an Apprentice Company member big sister), Kaylin.
|Avery, Hallie, and Kara have danced together for four years...so far.|
|Mini Company and their director, Ms. Christi.|
|Passing the time while waiting to perform.|
And here's where I get crazy with the pics...thanks for humoring me!
5. And last but not least, Halloween!
|It was a slow year, but we won the annual "who has more trick-or-|
treaters" contest (against my parents and my sister) again anyway!
Linking up with High Five for Friday here: