|Not yet strong enough to mow the lawn...
Here are the jobs six-year-old Will and four-year-old Hallie will be responsible for this summer:
- Get dressed, brush hair, and brush teeth
- Make beds
- Tidy up bedrooms
- Tidy up bedrooms and playroom
- Shower and brush teeth
- Lay out clothes/swimsuit and pack swimming bags for the following day
|Starting them early is key.
- Clean up dishes, counter/table, and floor after meals
- Pick up backyard/outdoor toys as necessary
- Keep Wii accessories and games picked up and put away (I've already threatened to confiscate any accessories and/or games I find on the floor)
- Vacuum bedrooms and playroom weekly
- Gather trash weekly
- Shake out rugs weekly
- Water the garden daily and pick ripened vegetables as necessary
- Help fold laundry (socks, underwear, swimsuits, napkins, and dishtowels - I'm super anal about how I fold laundry so those are the only things I'll let them fold at this point)
Jobs Disguised as Fun
- Wash the car (they'll wear their swimsuits and have fun with the hose)
- Wash the patio furniture (swimsuits and the hose round two)
- Clean the showers (again with the swimsuits, and this time they'll each be in possession of their own squirt bottle of gentle shower cleaner)
- Sort through - into keep, sell/donate, and toss piles - and organize playroom toys (we'll use the money we "make" from selling toys to Once Upon a Child to go to Dairy Queen)
What else should a six-year-old and a four-year-old be responsible for around the house? What kinds of jobs do your kids take care of on a regular basis? What kinds of jobs do you disguise as fun?