2. For the last three weeks we have spent our Saturdays - and two of our three Sundays - at the soccer field, braving temperatures in the 30s and 40s, 25 MPH steady winds with 40 MPH wind gusts, rain, and even sleet while watching our boy play the game he loves. Pre-season games ended this past Sunday...with a first place finish in the top bracket of the Texans Aggieland Classic Tournament. Last year was a tough one for Will on the soccer field; despite having a good coach, he didn't improve as much as he wanted to and his team struggled. This year a new club and a new coach with a different style, attitude, and set of expectations has made a big difference for Will personally and for his team.
3. THE OLYMPICS!!! I haven't been thrilled with NBC's coverage of the games and have high hopes for more dramatic moments and finishes during week two, but I still love Olympic competition. Here are a few of my favorite stories thus far:
- Ice skater Mirai Nagasu becomes the first woman from the United States to land a triple axel at the Olympics.
- Shaun White wins his third Olympic gold medal in the men's halfpipe competition.
- Finnish snowboarding coach Antti Koskinen casually knits during the slopestyle competition.
- And last but not least, comedian Leslie Jones' commentary on everything from the ice skaters' attire to the lugers' good looks. (Heads up: the video clips of her commentary contain profanity.)
4. I love Valentine's Day, not because I like grandiose romantic gestures (I don't) but because the small, simple, and accidental tradition that marks this day for our family is one of my favorites. I set up a treasure hunt throughout our house and yard that ends with a small gift each for Will and Hallie and a photo book - highlighting the most memorable moments of the previous year - for Tom. The best part is that Tom never remembers the photo book part of this tradition and is therefore always surprised when he opens his gift at the end of the treasure hunt.
|The most coloring I do all year.|
5. Happiness Highlights:
|Despite its bizarre coloring that I couldn't fix, I love this |
photo. I always hang our Christmas cards around the window
in our dining room, and I leave them up through Valentine's Day.
|Remember our swimsuit snow angels? My dad |
made his last weekend. He's such a cool guy.
|Last weekend I lost my title of "World's Okayest |
Mom"...to my mini-me. He really is his mother's son.
|Recently a little owl has been visiting our back |
yard. He's somehow intriguing, adorable,
and terrifying all rolled into one.
Happy Friday, Chasing Roots!
Linking up with High Five for Friday here: